Solar1 is dedicated to the protection of the environment and the promotion of sustainable development on a global scale.
- In the 1880s the first solar cell was constructed by Charles Fritts and converted only 1% of efficiency.
- If we covered 0.3% of the world’s land area, we could supply all of our electricity needs via solar power.
- The Earth receives more energy from the sun in an hour than is used in the entire world in one year.
- Manufacturing solar cells produces 90% less pollutants than conventional fossil fuel technologies
- For every 10 megawatts of solar power generated annually, the solar industry create 200 to 400 jobs.
CHALLENGING….. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
One of the most important elements of the Solar1 Monte Carlo Cup 2014, and the characteristic that makes it so distinct, is its commitment to challenging environmental issues. In addition to creating an exciting and competitive racing event, Solar1’s main objectives are:
• RAISE AWARENESS, EDUCATE AND ENCOURAGE THE WORLD IN THE LATEST INNOVATIONS OF SOLAR POWER AND GREEN TECHNOLOGY PROMOTING ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY BEHAVIOUR.
• HOLD WORLD CLASS SOLAR POWERED RACING EVENTS UNITING ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY INDUSTRIES AND PEOPLE.
• COLLABORATE THE MINDS OF TODAY WITH THE YOUTH OF TOMORROW TO ENSURE A GREENER, BRIGHTER FUTURE.
• BECOME THE TESTING AND PROMPTING GROUNDS FOR ADVANCES IN ALL ECO-FRIENDLY TECHNOLOGY.
What is Solar Energy?
Solar energy is not the mysterious, experimental power source it was but it now now provides energy around the globe. Solar energy is energy derived from the Sun’s radiation. The Sun is a powerful source of energy that can provide the Earth with as much energy every hour as we can collectively use in a year around the world.
Technically developed, solar energy is now a leading source of power, which we can utilise to influence the world. Through the ever developing solar world we are able to store sunlight through scientifically modified solar panels and redirect the energy in the same way we plug a phone charger into the wall. Solar energy its totally and 100% environmentally friendly and does not burn fossil fuel and add to global warming.
DID YOU KNOW?
The amount of solar energy that falls on the earth’s surface in 40 minutes equals the total annual energy consumption of all the world’s people.
Solar power helps to slow/stop global warming.
Global warming not only threatens the survival of the human race, but the survival of countless species. Solar Power is now so efficient that it creates electricity without producing global warming pollution. Solar power can not be seen as one of the large helps in the reduction of global warming as it have very little to no environmental impact. Solar panel systems burn no fuel and have no moving parts. They are clean and silent, producing no atmospheric emissions or greenhouse gases that are harmful to the earth.
Solar power has great reliability.
Solar panel systems can produce power in all types of weather. We know exactly when the sun is due to rise and set everyday and at exactly what time throughout the year. Amazingly on a cloudy day solar panels can produce as much as 80% of their potential energy and even on a very cloudy day they can still produce 25% of their maximum output.
Solar power provides energy security and is cost effective.
The sun cannot be monopolised – it cannot be bought or raised in price. It is free to use for everyone. As soon as you have solar panels installed, you have basically given yourself and independent source of electricity that is all yours forever.
Solar power creates jobs.
As a source of energy, solar power is a job-creating powerhouse. The money that is invested in solar power creates two to three times more jobs than the money invested in coal or natural gas.